EXECUTIVE PARTNER HENK ROSKAMP
Managing Partner at RVB Shipbrokers
- Tell briefly about yourself, about your Rotterdam connection, especially about your love for art?
Raised in Rotterdam I grew up with this ever changing fascinating city and the spectacular views it is offering. I always spend my working life in the shipping industry. The esthetical part of what life has to offer has always had my interest and over the years I developed a more serious interest in contempary paintings.
- When did your interest start in photography?
It was Dutch artist "Casper Faassen" who triggered my interest in fine art photography. I had bought one of his earlier paintings, and started to follow his works. "Seascape" was my first work in photography art I acquired. A beautiful seaview print on glass with gold foil behind it.
- Photography embraces numerous styles. Is there a particular style, in terms of collecting, where your preference lies?
I do not at all have and want to have a fixed focus in different styles of photography. I consider myself a modest collector willing to learn and to understand different styles and techniques. It will have to be a certain image creating the first interest and leading to a more general appreciation of the works of certain photographers.
- What was your drive to be involved in Haute Photographie in Rotterdam?
After getting to know Roy Kahmann of the Kahmann Gallery in Amsterdam better, I soon realised Rotterdam was missing such a nice outlet to not only look at fine art photography, but also have the option to buy works. At the same time being a proud Rotterdam resident i gladly contribute in creating this platform.
- What are your future expectations as a patron of an event such as Haute?
Together with the excellent Haute team and it's partners we have the ambition to stay as a yearly national exhibition with it's home in Rotterdam.
We are excited to show the public what Haute has to offer, not only this year, but also in the future.
- As an experienced collector, what do you recommend to like - minded people who want to start collecting photography?
Take your time to walk around. Give room to the process. I experience looking at art a bit like listening to music. Some songs will land easily into the brain, others you need to listen to a few times more to appreciate. But nothing better ofcourse than instinct love!
I find it difficult to tip certain photographers.
- Which photographers are a must see on Haute?
Let me answer by saying that I own works of Casper Faassen, Rutger ten Broeke, Albert Watson, Schilte & Portielje, Katrien Vermeire, Bastiaan Woudt and more.., but at the same time I like to buy works from all other photographers represented at Haute. Do I have to say more?